One of the most important skills a baker must learn is the ability to accurately control dough temperature.
The benefits are clear and immediate, temperature control plays a crucial role in:
- Time management – more predictability in the overall production schedule.
- Product consistency
- Crust, crumb, and flavor characteristics
- Shelf life
Temperature also affects gluten development:
- At warmer temperatures gluten in bread dough exhibits less elastic properties
- At cooler temperatures it exhibits more elasticity and even more stability.
- Optimum gluten development can be more difficult to achieve at either end of the temperature spectrum.
Download our guide to help you control your finished dough temperature.