Stockfeed Shelf Life Guide during the current wet & humid conditionsMarch 2, 2020
Basic White LoafApril 28, 2020
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable shortening or 8 tablespoons (113g) unsalted butter
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tspn vanilla extract
- 1 Egg
- 2 Cups Ben Furney Self-Rising Flour
- 1/4 Cup castor sugar
- Beat together the vegetable shortening or butter, sugar, and vanilla until fluffy.
- Mix in the egg, then the flour. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, then mix again, until thoroughly combined.
- Chill the dough for 30 minutes or longer, to make it less sticky and easier to work with.
- Near the end of the chilling period, preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Grease or line with parchment two baking sheets.
- Place 1/4 cup castor sugar in a bowl.
- Use a spoon to make 1″ to 1 1/2″ balls. Drop them into the sugar, then place the balls sugar side up onto the baking sheets, leaving about 2″ between cookies; they’ll spread as they bake.
- Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned. The cookies will puff up and look soft, but they’ll fall and become crunchy as they cool.
- Remove the cookies from the oven. Let them rest on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool completely. Store well-wrapped cookies at room temperature for a week or so; freeze for longer storage.