What our customers have to say about PurastockMay 21, 2020
Pettina Chocolate Cake – Easy As 1-2-3May 27, 2020
- 2tbs olive oil
- 2 diced onions
- 4 cloves/teaspoons crushed garlic
- 1kg regular mince
- 1 cup Dry Cream TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) soaked in 500ml warm water for 15mins
- 500g grated carrots
- 4 sticks of thinly slice celery
- 750g slice mushrooms
- 100g tomato paste
- 1275g tinned or crushed tomatoes
- 6tbs Italian mixed herbs
- 125ml red wine
- 2tbs sugar
- 2-3 Oxo cubes, crushed or beef stock powder
- salt and pepper
- In a large pan or electric fry pan heat oil and add onions and garlic, cooking until translucent.
- Add mince and brown slightly, add TVP and water not soaked in, adding extra water if necessary. Cook until mince is cooked through.
- Add all vegetables, tomato paste, tomatoes, mixed herbs, red wine, sugar and Oxo’s and allow to simmer, rapidly stirring occasionally to ensure it doesn’t stick to base. Cover with lid – if the mixture is too wet, move the lid to halfway, or remove completely.
- After vegetables are cooked down and soften (around 20 mins), taste to check:
- too much tomato taste – add more sugar
- not enough beef taste – add another Oxo cube
- too bland/ missing something – add salt/pepper
- When happy with the taste, serve with cooked pasta, or cool and refrigerate or freeze for later.
- Adjust to suit your taste, the higher % of TVP you use the more additional flavourings you need to add. Mushrooms work exceptionally well with TVP.
- You can substitute all or just add extra vegetables with what you have left over in the fridge, just be sure to adjust to taste with Oxo/salt/pepper/tinned tomatoes. Avoid large amounts of potatoes and pumpkin. Wilted spinach is great to add if available – add in last 5 minutes of cooking.